Saturday, February 2, 2013

working today on Salvation

'
Cold, gray and snowy outside makes for an excellent day to work hard inside the studio. Today I am working on one of the Church of the Resurrection Old Testament panels. These are 5ft by3ft canvases. There are 10 in all. This one is number 7 in the series. I have brought it home from the church in order to get the finishing touches accomplished in my own studio.

One problem, among many, is that the church staff want me to return these paintings to the hanging spot in the narthex every Sunday. They don't want a blank spot on the wall!
Although it disrupts my work process, I will paint all day and get it back on the wall tomorrow morning. My plan is to take a painting off the wall every Sunday as if I  am checking out a library book and work on them steadily throughout the Lenten season until I get them all to that finished stage where I can be contented with the display at Eastertide.


Isaiah 55:1-11 is the seventh of the readings for the Great Easter Vigil. The first verse contains these words, "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!"
We have chosen to illustrate this prophetic reading with the story of the Israelites in the desert gathering manna and drinking water from a rock all provided by the grace of God.

At this stage in the painting process I need to apply glazes and more modeling on the figures. They are not supposed to be ghostly and white! I am going for an earth tones color scheme over all.