Sunday, October 31, 2010

halloween and some spiders

Spiders!
Halloween decorations are taking over my suburban neighborhood. Actually, they have been displayed for many weeks now. I really don't like them. they give me the heebie-jeebies. I don't like to walk by yards full of gravestones, and skeletons. (I prefer to look at my skeletons in life drawing class).
The most egregious display that I pass while out running with my dog (who hates the decor too) is a yard with life-size dressed human figures hanging from the trees.
( I really hope they aren't real). Oh, that place really makes me uncomfortable.

The only thing I don't mind is spiders.
I rather like them.
The spider pictured here is Anansi, a famous literary spider from West African stories. I illustrated a storybook with one of the Anansi stories. And don't forget about the beloved Charlotte of literary spider fame.
The art in this book was all made with colored pencils.