Saturday, April 18, 2009

The intense colors of Spring

Gobsmacked ,my new favorite word, describes my reaction to our first spring days in Chicago.
I looked it up in a British-American dictionary; "surprised - taken unawares or suddenly and feeling wonder or astonishment". 
Those intense moments of color surprise and delight every day  as grey winter creeps away.
My front yard is  carpeted by these tiny cobalt blue blossoms. I finally figured out that they are called Scilla siberica and that they sprouted from miniature bulbs that I planted a number of years ago (and forgot). Now they are brilliantly naturalizing their way across the lawn. 
I am about to start a very large painting of lilies from the latest Easter week. I always end up with lots of lilies in pots in my studio during this week in the spring. The rooms smell wonderful and I am so inspired to draw from the live models surrounding me.
This shade of blue, with a hint of purples makes me want to create a theme with this color for this next painting.  I will be posting as I paint.